Global Star Websites

Thread: Converting kb's & mb's to DPI's

Default Converting kb's & mb's to DPI's

Our newspaper requires that any picture submitted be at least 200 dpi's. If I have a picture that is 800 kb, or 1 mb, how can I figure out the dpi's it contains?

Thank for any help

The size of the file doesn't matter - if you have photoshop you can go into the image and change the DPI"s - my pro lab requires images to be 300 dpi's or more for submission.
    Stephanie
    www.stephaniegoodrich.com
    Facebook
    Canon 7d & 5d MarkII
    "Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever... it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything. -Aaron Siskind-

Open it in photoshop.

Go to Image/Image Size

You will see its size in pixels, inches and DPI. You can change the DPI in that box, if you want - and then save the file to print it, or send it to the paper via email.

Note: If the file was ever saved at 72DPI, just changing it here to 300DPI will not be a good move. You can always sample down, but going up is asking for it to look horrible.

I agree with the others. But I just want to point out that DPI stands for dots per inch. Therefore the question - how many dpi's is an invalid question. There is probably more to their specifications. For instance they may be saying 2x3 inches at 200 dpi. I'll bet they have a physical dimension to it somewhere.

Thanks
    Kerry

I checked out a photo in Photoshop, and there it was! From what I've been reading, it seems that dpi's and resolution are about the same, right?
    Thanks for your help..
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Fallchick View Post
    I checked out a photo in Photoshop, and there it was! From what I've been reading, it seems that dpi's and resolution are about the same, right?
    Thanks for your help..
    There are no dpi's only dpi It is not dots per inches but dots per inch.

DPI is the resolution. But my point is you cannot spec a picture with just dpi. I could say that I use 300 dpi, but you would have no idea what that is until I tell you the dimension of the picture. For all you know I might be talking about a billboard at 130 feet by 100 feet.